Language QuizStarter level quiz about the Chinese language.
1. Which word can you use to ask someone to wait
Děng 等 is a useful word to know when traveling; it is often prefixed with please : qing deng - please wait.
2. What is the Chinese word for walk?
走 zǒu is the character for walk, move, run or hasten.
3. If you want to attract the attention of a waiter what do you say?
医生 yī shēng
什么 shén me
服务员 fú wù yuán
The term 服务员 fú wù yuán is roughly equivalent to uniformed attendent in English.
4. How do you bid someone welcome in Chinese?
先生 xiān shēng
欢迎 huān yíng
再见 zài jiàn
欢迎 huān yíng means Hearty Welcome and is a common greeting
Teaching Chinese. Traditional characters for 'what is your name'
5. Yesterday is what in Chinese
昨天 zuó tiān
上月 shàng yuè
上午 shàng wǔ
昨 zuó on its own can mean yesterday. 天 tiān 'heaven' is day.
Wall and Moat with corner guard post defend the Forbidden City, Beijing
6. 心 xīn means what in English?
Heart 心 xīn is used in many words and characters that have to do with emotions.
7. 小 Xiǎo means what in English?
small or young
Division marks around a small object indicating smallness.
8. 晚上 wǎn shàng refers to which time of day?
Wanshang refers to evening and can be transliterated as late up.
9. How do you express 1,000,000 in Chinese?
十万 shí wàn
百万 bǎi wàn
In China, the number 10,000 was considered innumerable and is used to express 'countless' and 'myriad'. Numbers greater than 10,000 are expressed as multiples of 10,000 up to 100,000,000 which would be 10,000x10,000 and is a new character 亿 yì.
10. What is the Chinese word for green?
Both 绿 lù and 红 hóng contain the radical for silk in them, indicating the use of dyes to color cloth.
Bolts of Chinese silk
11. To make a sentence to indicate an action is complete as in 'gone'; 'left'; 'bought' what can you do?
Add 了 le after the verb
Add 没 méi before the verb
Prefix the sentence with 请 qǐng
Changing the tense of a verb is easy in Chinese you do not have to learn declension or lots of new characters. Adding 了 le to 买 mǎi buy turns it into 买了 mǎi le bought.
12. What is the word for friend in Chinese?
平友 píng yǒu
朋有 péng yǒu
朋友 péng yǒu
Both of the characters in 朋友 péng yǒu indicate friendship.
Copyright © Dreamstime see image license
13. The possessive 'your' is expressed how in Chinese?
没有 méi yǒu
他的 tā de
你的 nǐ de
The possessive ' 的 de' is a very common character in Chinese, it can be used with any noun to make someone or something possess it.
14. The Chinese character for heaven or sky is what?
The horizontal stroke on top represents the sky which is above the figure of a large man 大 dà.
Flying kites in a city park
15. What is the Chinese for south?
You will find south in a number of province names including Henan; Hunan; Yunnan and in the city of Nanjing (southern capital).
Division of a traditional Feng Shui compass
16. How would you say four tickets in Chinese?
四张票 sì zhāng piào
四张小 sì zhāng xiǎo
四票 sì piào
You need to include a measure word in Chinese; you can not say just four tickets, you need to add the measure word for things that are flat 四票 sì piào between the number and the noun.
17. How would you say the year 2008 in Chinese?
两零八年 liǎng líng bā nián
二零八年 èr líng bā nián
二零零八年 èr líng líng bā nián
The 'zero' is not repeated so it is a bit like saying two thousand and eight.
18. The United States of America is called what in Chinese?
美国 měi guó
没国 méi guó
英国 yīng guó
美 měi means beautiful on its own, so with 国 guó it means beautiful country. It was chosen as a rough transliteration of America.
Deng Xiaoping during Sino-American signing ceremony, 1st Jan 1979. Image available under a Creative Commons license ➚.
19. Which character for good fortune is the widely seen at Chinese New Year?
The character for good fortune 福 fú has an interesting derivation. It is widely seen on Chinese gifts. Just to add to confusion it is often shown ?upside down?
Traditional lion dance near a temple
20. 三月八日 sān yuè bā rì is how you would write which date?
Dates in Chinese are easy, you just count the number of days and months.
Switch off sounds
Try another quiz
Switch on sounds
Copyright © Chinasage 2012 to 2019
Downloading information about character
Downloading information about character